Re: libreadline problem (BS key)

Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu> writes:

> On my system the BackSpace key is mapped to DEL.  When I run bash or
> ncftp it doesn't work, even though "stty" says that "erase=^?".
> (Pressing Control-H does work.)
>
> I'm guessing that this is a bug in libreadline (libreadlineg_2.1-7)
> but I was wondering if anyone else was seing this behaviour before I
> submitted a bug report.  (This started after I recently synced my
> existing hamm system with the current hamm directory.)

Under which terminal?  You should get correct behavior for DEL and BS
on xterm, rxvt, and linux.  BS deletes left, and DEL deletes right.

> Also, an unrelated problem (this one is a problem with ncurses): the
> "xterm" terminfo entry doesn't seem to work right with non-debian
> xterms.

The xterm terminal emulation changed upstream, and ncurses-base
includes the new behavior.  Set your TERM to xterm-old when logging in
from an old-behavior xterm.

Guy