libreadline problem (BS key)

On my system the BackSpace key is mapped to DEL.  When I run bash or
ncftp it doesn't work, even though "stty" says that "erase=^?".
(Pressing Control-H does work.)

I'm guessing that this is a bug in libreadline (libreadlineg_2.1-7)
but I was wondering if anyone else was seing this behaviour before I
submitted a bug report.  (This started after I recently synced my
existing hamm system with the current hamm directory.)

Also, an unrelated problem (this one is a problem with ncurses): the
"xterm" terminfo entry doesn't seem to work right with non-debian
xterms.  (e.g. RedHat 4.2 and Solaris 2.5.1) One of the symptoms show
up when you press ^U in tcsh, the line isn't physically erased.  When
you set TERM to vt100 it goes away.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu