Re: Once again: libc6 packages compatibility etc...

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Brian White wrote:

> > > Actually I placed the `g' before the version in my package.  What is
> > > the correct way to do this?  What is Redhat doing?
> >
> > So what's the consensus for the `g' ? Before of after the lib soname ?
>
> I'll put my vote in for "after".  It makes it much easier to see.  When
> the "g" is right next to the text name, it's easy to miss.

I agree completely!

> Just a thought to toss around...
>
> A number of packages are split into pieces something like "libpkg_..."
> and "pkg-dev_...".  Becaues of the different prefixes on the name, it
> makes it harder to recognize the packages belong together.  In addition,
> since the libs are already under "libs/", the "lib..." prefix is somewhat
> redundant.  What if we were to remove the "lib..." prefix to distinguish
> those that depend on libc6?  Eventually, once all of libc5 gets purged, we
> would have a somewhat cleaner looking system.

This is a very good idea!

I am currently re-working the gmp library package to deal with the .so
numbering in the correct way. As a result, I will have a libc5 linked
version 1.3.x (that provides libraries discontinued in 2.0.2) as well as
the libc6 linked 2.0.x.

If I follow Brian's idea I will have the following:

	libgmp1_1.3.2-6		libc5 version
	libgmp1-dev_1.3.2-6
and
	gmp2_2.0.2-3		libc6 version
	gmp-dev_2.0.2-3

These can both reside in the libs section without confusion, since they
will clearly be in seperate portions of the list.

Doesn't this remove the need for the g and alt identifier strings?

I like it.

Thanks Brian!

Dwarf