Re: Once again: libc6 packages compatibility etc...

Dale Scheetz writes:

 > > > So what's the consensus for the `g' ? Before of after the lib soname ?
 > >
 > > I'll put my vote in for "after".  It makes it much easier to see.  When
 > > the "g" is right next to the text name, it's easy to miss.
 > >
 > I agree completely!

No, I think it's bad. Some packages do have letters in their version
numbers (eg. libtool_1.0b). It may at least be legal, even if there is
no lib like "libfoo3c" (are there any ?). At least there is possible
ambiguity between "libfoo version 3g, libc5-compiled" and "libfoo
version 3, libc6-compiled".

>From the policy (/usr/doc/debian-policy/libc6-migration.text.gz):

=====
Remarks:

 [1] the name of a library package often includes the major version
     number of the library. If so, the 'g' should come before this
     number, e.g. libgdbmg1 as package name for the libc6 based
     runtime package for libgdbm.
=====

--
Yann Dirson  <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>        | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,