[X11] placement of binaries and menu config

Thanks for the previous response to my queries. I have some more
questions now. In my forthcoming package of VICE, there are three
binaries which have this behaviour:

  They need a terminal (there is some debugging output and you can
  break out to a monitor which, without a terminal, hangs the wm).

  They produce their own X windows (not xterms or rxvts).

I also intend to package TK-Gofer (the nearest equivalents would be
TK-Scheme or TK-Python, if they exist). [Aside: Gofer is a functional
programming language closely related to Haskell.]

The executable (tkgofer) is a command-line driven interpreter (the
compiler is broken at the moment) with GUI-building extensions. I
expect it behaves very similarly to tclsh with respect to DISPLAY and
window creation (it is happy in a VC running non-GUI things).

My questions are:

  Which executables should go into /usr/X11R6/bin and which should
  not? FSSTND is not too helpful here.

  What should the menu entries look like?

The VICE authors just install everything in /usr/bin. My current menu
file includes:

?package(vice):command="xterm -T \"Xpet Console\" -e
/usr/bin/X11/xpet" icon="none" needs="X11" section="Apps/Emulators"
title="Xpet"

which is broken from the point of view that users of rxvt will be
unhappy.

Another question is: if VICE is distributed without proprietory ROMs,
can it go into main (like apple2)?

Lastly, if anyone would like to test VICE, please go to:
http://hilfy.magd.cam.ac.uk/ .

Thanks,
Giuliano.

gpp10@cam.ac.uk +44 1223 358608 Magdalene College Cambridge CB3 0AG UK
  PGP key available from public key servers; key ID: 93898735 (hex)