Re: No executables or libraries in the package!

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Mark W. Blunier wrote:

> I am trying to package a couple of programs, su1 and and
> mlddc.  I packaged su1 without problems, but following
> the same steps for mlddc I am unable to get any binaries
> in the package.  I checked the documentation but I can
> find many specifics on how deb-make, rules, and build
> interact and what they expect to find.
>
> Mark W. Blunier
> blunier@concentric.net
>
> Some output from build:
>
> test -f debian/rules
> rm -rf debian/tmp
> install -d debian/tmp
> cd debian/tmp && install -d `cat ../dirs`
> make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp
> make[1]: Entering directory `/debian/local/source/mlddc-3.1.8'
> install -m 755 mlddc /usr/bin
                       ^^^^^^^^
There's your binary. It looks like the Makefile doesn't use DESTDIR,
so you have two solutions:

- Modify the Makefile to use DESTDIR. (not recommended. It's better to
leave the original sources as "pristine" as possible)
- install the file "by hand". In this case it can be done by changing
the "make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp" line in your debian/rules
to "install -m 755 mlddc `pwd`/debian/tmp"

--
Enrique Zanardi					ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental