Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian -- Let's not forget C++

Jason>
Jason> I think ben mentioned this, alot of badly behaved make files and configure
Jason> scripts might cause grief to people who want to use egcs as the compiler
Jason> for a package, it would be really nice to be able to have a way to
Jason> globally switch between compilers, but I haven't the faintest idea what
Jason> would be involved..

For C++ things are even more complicated.  The g++ version in egcs
should use libg++2.8b6, so there is a problem with include files and
dynamic libraries.  The next snapshot or release should include this
new libg++.  Moreover there is a binary incompatibility caused by the
inclusion of RTTI : you cannot link object files from the new compiler
with an old libg++.so.  And there is exception handling, too (i did not
try).  Because of the runtime cost of EH, it may be interesting to
provide 2 versions of libg++.so.

--
Laurent.