Egcs, gcc, and Debian

The general consensus here seems to be that egcs is a Good Thing and
worth packaging.  I agree, and am downloading the source now.  Several
people, including Bruce, have suggested that we might want to go with
this as our production compiler in the future.

If this is so, then I'll go ahead and package the current snapshot
myself (unless somebody else really wants it).  I'm not sure how (or if)
it will coexist with gcc; as somebody else noted, it's not easy to have
multiple native compilers coexisting.  I'll see what I can do.