Re: source dependencies - and recomndations

Hi,
>>"Mark" == Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

>> I see no merit in bending over backwards to generate the same bits
>> that someone else has already prodced. I think we want to

Mark> But we should try to get pretty close.  The reason *I* want
Mark> source dependencies is the hassles I had when taking over the X
Mark> tree; there are things that the source tree depends on (like a
Mark> particular version of tcl/tk, at the time ncompress, and some
Mark> others) that don't show up *at all* in the binary dependencies
Mark> -- the first step in taking over a package should be making sure
Mark> you can do at least as well as the previous maintainer as far as
Mark> building it.

	Allow me to clarify my position. I *am* in favour of source
 dependencies -- and I am against packages that only build on the
 maintainers box. However, I do not think we need depend on exact
 versions for all source dependencies and attempt byte-for-byte
 indentity. As long as the package builds, passes the regression tests
 (if any) and apears to perform well, I do not think we need to
 *exactly* reproduce the maintainers environment. In fact, the
 necessity of reproducing the maintainers environment to the last
 version number should be seen as a bug in the package. My
 package. angband, builds just as well with make-3.75-3 as with
 make-3.75-12.

	There may well be cases that source dependencies will have to
 be versioned, but it should not be the norm.

	manoj

--
 Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language.  You should
 do your duty in all things.  You can never do more, you should never

--UAA03583.870397857/tiamat.datasync.com--