Re: boot-time kernel selection and /System.map mismatch

Hi,
>>"Guy" == Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

Guy> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
>> I see it as a defect in klogd that it does not do the same. (I
>> think I'll file a feature request). If it did, there would be no
>> problems with selection of kernels in lilo.

Guy> There's no need.  You can specify which System.map to use, and
Guy> the comments in /etc/init.d/sysklogd already tell you how:

>> Use KLOGD="-k /boot/System.map-$(uname -r)" to specify System.map

	Thank you for pointing this out. That removes the last
 technical objection that was presented alledging that kernel-package
 produced kernel-image packages are not mulit-kernel friendly.

	I repeat: kernel image packages put vmlinuz-<Version> and
 Sytem.map-<version> into /boot, which should be all that is required
 for klogd and ps and friends. It also updates two sym links (in / or
 /boot) pointing to the latest two versions for use in simple boot
 loader configurations.

	The only thing this does not support (and niether do ps or
 klogd) is multiple kernel-images for the same kernel version (with
 different options, for example).

	I don't see an easy way for distinguishing them anyway (how do
 you specify dfferent module locations?). If a standard methodology
 emerges, kernel-package will support it.

	manoj

--
 I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in
 it. Ashleigh Brilliant

--UAA03779.870398314/tiamat.datasync.com--