Re: Summary? Re: source dependencies - and recomndations

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Steve Greenland wrote:

> Source-Depends: x,y,z
> Source-Depends-<arch>: x,y,z,t
>
> If there exists a "Source-Depends-<arch>" that matches the current build

[snip]

> Alternative solution:
>
> Something like
>
> Source-Depends: x, y, z, (<arch>; t)

Why bother with indicating the architecture in the field name?
I think this could simply be done by using virtual packages, ie if a java
compiler is needed, we'll have the line:

Source-Depends: java-bytecode-compiler

So it can be either Sun's JDK or guavac on i386, while non-i386 arch. will
have no choice than guavac.
Also those packages will very often correspond to a given funcitonality,
so most of the necessary virtual packages names already exists (as
"java-bytecode-compiler" already exists for example)

	V.

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -