Re: Diety UI draft

Bill Mitchell wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Behan Webster wrote:
>
> But the point would be to warn when there's not going to be enough
> space.  It seems insufficient for the feature which does this warning
> to work only almost always, and/or except in the case of really big
> packages.  (that is, it sometimes doesn't work, especially when a
> space problem with downloaded packages is especially likely)
>
>     Option#2Con#2:  Some users might want to retain downloaded packages.
>             (e.g., users with very slow downloading capabilities
>             and sufficient local space (online or offline) may want
>             to keep downloaded packages around against possible future
>             needs once they've been downloaded very slowly).  This
>             option doesn't seem to address those users' needs.

The ftp access method is not meant to be used for this.  It is meant
soley for upgrading your machine from a remote source of deb packages.
To keep a local copy of deb packages, I suggest users check out
the mirror package.  Deity has been designed as a package manager,
not a mirror program.

> > I repeat though, the UI has nothing to do with this implementation
> > detail.
> >
> > I will pass this problem on to the appropriate person in the deity
> > team.
>
> Yep.  As far as UI issues go, the UI needs to be able of telling
> users how much space is needed -- partition-by-partition if that
> info is available.  If there's not going to be enough space, the
> UI needs to either warn the user of that or refuse to attempt
> an install which is clearly destined to fail.

As far as space needed to install packages, that info is already
available:

    http://www.verisim.com/~behanw/deity/deity-ui_0.10.html#sel_status

Thank you for your interest,

Behan