Re: new approach: Documentation Policy

Brian White writes:
 > >  > The original design only called for prefixes because it
 > >  > also allowed replacements -- changing the prefix so someone could do
 > >  > something like move all man pages from /usr/man to /usr/share/man.
 > >  >
 > >  > Such replacements is much more difficult to implement when you can have
 > >  > wildcards anywhere in the path.
 > >
 > > What about using a sed-like mechanism (I mean, in s/.../.../
 > > commands) allowing rules as "/usr/doc/examples/\1 ->
 > > /usr/doc/\(.*\)/examples".
 >
 > It's possible, but probably not worth it.  It has to be simple enough
 > for anyone to use and regexp is not for beginners.

OK. So let's maybe provide the two possibilities.

BTW, Debian is not a Micro$oft product, which would just not implement
a feature because it's far too difficult to use for beginners! I don't
say that we should neglect newbies; it will be easy here to build a
frontend translating shell-like wildcards into regexp, and allowing
advanced users to directly use regexps !

 > > BTW allowing such rules to be set up at any time after package
 > > installation would provide a mechanism to "locally fix" packages using
 > > an old version of the policy, without systematically re-downloading
 > > them (in case just the layout has changed).
 >
 > That's possible, but can also be accomplished with "rm <whatever>" or
 > "mv <whatever>" in almost all cases.

Sorry, 'rm' is out-of-subject here, and 'mv' is so bad for system
administration that debian provides the "diversion" system to replace
it.

However 'dpkg-divert' might be overloaded of we use it for such a
thing, unless it can divert directories, which I'm not sure...
--
Yann Dirson <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>
http://monge.univ-mlv.fr/~dirson