Re: kill -9 -1 from non-super user in X hangs Debian

On 10 Jul 1997, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <[🔎] 33C39450.1D82@student.uni-tuebingen.de>,
> Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> >When I type "kill -9 -1" as a non-super user in an xterm, the system
> >hangs. The mouse won't move, and I can't change to a virtual console. I
> >don't know if I can still login via telnet, since I have no network
> >connection.
>
> So? You just killed all your own running processes, including the X
> server. The X server runs with an effective user id of root, but with
> your real uid so you are allowed to kill it.

Not a really helpful answer as it also locks up the terminal after X dies
which is obviously a problem. I have tried this on my machine, but I run
xdm and it just resets (which is what I thought it would do. However,
another machine in my department that only infrequently has X running (via
startx) does hang. This seems wierd but from the other threads to this it
doesn't seem like it happens to everyone. I'd be happy to do some
experimenting if someone could tell me what to look for. Cheers.

--
	  Colin R. Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
		School of Policy Studies, Queen's University