Re: kill -9 -1 from non-super user in X hangs Debian

In article <[🔎] 33C39450.1D82@student.uni-tuebingen.de>,
Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>When I type "kill -9 -1" as a non-super user in an xterm, the system
>hangs. The mouse won't move, and I can't change to a virtual console. I
>don't know if I can still login via telnet, since I have no network
>connection.

So? You just killed all your own running processes, including the X
server. The X server runs with an effective user id of root, but with
your real uid so you are allowed to kill it.

>Well, the answer to the problem is obviosly "don't type it, then", but I
>think it should be impossible for a non-super user to trash the system
>in any way, and programs may accidentally do something similar.

Well you don't drive on the wrong side of the road either do you even
though you can :)

You could also argue that it should be impossible to take out the power
plug while the system is running..

Mike.
--
| Miquel van Smoorenburg |  "I need more space" "Well, why not move to Texas" |
| miquels@cistron.nl     |  "No, on my account, stupid." "Stupid? Uh-oh.."    |