Re: kill -9 -1 from non-super user in X hangs Debian

According to Colin R. Telmer:
> On 10 Jul 1997, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > So? You just killed all your own running processes, including the X
> > server. The X server runs with an effective user id of root, but with
> > your real uid so you are allowed to kill it.
>
> Not a really helpful answer as it also locks up the terminal after X dies
> which is obviously a problem.

The only remedy is a graphics access coordinator that can reset the
graphics card when the process accessing it does. The only entity that
can coordinate this is the kernel. Work is going on to implement this;
it's called GGI but don't expect it before Linux 2.2

Mike.
--
| Miquel van Smoorenburg |  "I need more space" "Well, why not move to Texas" |
| miquels@cistron.nl     |  "No, on my account, stupid." "Stupid? Uh-oh.."    |