Re: licence problems: what to do with kdeapps and kvt

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> Someone noticed that rxvt, and kvt are non-free because of this part of
> their licence:
>
> /* Copyright 1992 John Bovey, University of Kent at Canterbury.
>  *
> [...deleted...]
>
> If kde were part of the main distribution, I'd certianly do this,
> rather than have it move into non-free, but since it's already out of
> the main distribution, I don't think it's worth the bother.

while you're modifying kdeapps, can you make it use mini icons for the
menu package? It really irks me to have so much valuable screen space
taken up by ugly huge icons. It's worse than annoying, too. Neither fvwm
nor fvwm95 can scroll menus which are longer than the screen is high
- if a menu is too long to display (e.g. screensavers menu), then you
don't get to see all of the menu.

I tend to agree...I don't think it's worth the bother.

> What do people think - is it much better to have a package in contrib than
> in non-free? I need convincing that this change would be worth my time.

FWIW, my personal opinion is that debian wont be missing out on much if
kde has to stay in non-free.

I installed kde just to see what it was like - there may be more going on
in the background that hasn't been released yet but they seem to be doing
a fine job of making Linux just like Windows...buggy, bloated, minimal
features, based on proprietary code (qt), useless text editor, but with a
very nice minesweeper game.

What does kvt do that xterm can't, anyway? I really can't see a need
for yet another xterm-type program (with the possible exception of a
NextStep like Terminal app - I much prefer xterm, but still like Next's
Terminal)

There are some nice-ish ideas in the whole K desktop project....but,
IMO, they count for less than nothing because they are based on a
non-free GUI toolkit.

Craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract