Re: fiat mode on regarding WWW and documentation

'Bruce Perens wrote:'

>Bruce:
>> Huh? Why not uncompress them on the server and serve them to the browser
>> as HTML? That would have the advantage of working well :-)
>
>From: <branden@apocalypse.sequitur.org>
>> Bandwidth/speed.  Though I know that would require hacking the browsers to
>> re-examine the files for parseable content after they're uncompressed
>> locally.
>
>In the case of browsing Debian documentation, the system is the local
>host or is on your local network. Compression isn't going to improve
>your browsing speed on a loopback or a 10 MBPS ethernet.
>
>Anyway, this is a properly a function of the data-link layer.

That is current dogma.  But I don't believe it.  It is probably better
to make modems operate as fast as possible and let intelligent software
compress data to the hilt.  See
http://www.tidbits.com/tb-issues/TidBITS-367.html#lnk4 and
http://www.tidbits.com/tb-issues/TidBITS-368.html#lnk4.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary