Re: Documentation Policy

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> I haven't been following this thread closely (catching up on mail backlog
> after vacation), but the reason I've heard why it's not acceptable to ship
> only info files and convert to html on the fly is because the converter in
> dwww that does this produces crappy output. Why not just replace it with a
> better converter? This dicussion smells to me of making policy to work
> around a technical problem.

The problem with info is that it is already formatted, with hard line
breaks; an algorithm to convert this to another format nicely is very
difficult - how can you tell what can be rewrapped and what is a code
fragment?

Whereas if you go back to the original .texi file, it can be wrapped nicely,
and you can even use different fonts.

Lynx users like me will hardly notice the difference but in a graphical
browser there is a difference in that the one generated from the .texi can