why are shared libs chmod +x? (again)

--------
On Sun, Jun 1 1997 21:24 +0200 Christian Schwarz writes:
> Can someone tell me why shared libs should be installed executable?
> (Actually, Christoph Lameter wants to know this, cf. #7129, but since I
> don't know this either I'll redirect the question to this list.)
>
> This is current policy and I want to add a small note to the paragraph
> stating the reasons for this.

What was the answer, why shared libraries are mode 755?
I'd suggest to revert them back to 644:

(david@eos) ~$/lib/libreadline.so.2.1
Segmentation fault

(I'd expected a better error message like `no binary' or something
 like that).

David
--
David Frey                      |Linux --- the choice of a GNU generation!
51F35923114FC8647D05FF173C61EFDE|GE C++ UL+++ P- W-- !w--- PGP++ t@++ R D--- e++