Re: Packaging questions regarding plan

> On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > > contrib.  Try to run it on Lesstif and it won't work, because it will
> > > not find a Motif 2.0 library.  Lesstif provides a Motif 1.2 lib.
> >
> > Yeah, but Lesstif was not meant to be *binary* compatible with real
> > Motif, only *source code* compatible!
>
> Is this true? Then there would be no reason to create the "motif-libs"
> virtual packages! (The only use for them would be to allow drop-in
> replacements of the compiled shared library packages.)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> --                  Christian Schwarz

The reason we need virtual packages is so that we can allow people who
(like myself) have gone out and bought real Motif to use it on Debian.
I would be glad to throw away my Motif CD, and only use Lesstif.  Last
time I tried compiling Nedit against lesstif, the results were almost
usable, but still disappointing.  I am getting a new computer (K6-200)
to replace my old 486, and I plan on compiling Nedit against the latest
Lesstif again.  If it works, i will upload it (and we can get it out of
contrib).  I still plan on compiling a statically linked version against
REAL Motif though (for those who want everything to work perfectly).
I don't believe Lesstif is quite ready for primetime.  Regardless, since
there are two versions of Motif, with different Library names that are
not compatable (sure, you can recompile but they are not binary compatable),
we need both motif12 and motif20 virtual packages.  Lesstif should be
modified to provide motif12.  For other people that have commercial Motif,
we need to have TWO motif dummy packages.  Or one that provides both
virtual packages...

Just my $0.02,

 -Erik

--