Re: Documentation Policy

> On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 20:13:13 +0200 Christian Schwarz
> > (schwarz@monet.m.isar.de) wrote:
> >
> > >   Option 3: We ship .texi files and produce HTML and/or info files on
> > > demand (in the postinst script).
> >
> > I like this idea a lot. I *hate* having to fetch the source package
> > to produce a postscript output...
>
> This is a very different issue.
>
> I don't like the idea of producing .info files or .html files on demand.
> The purpose of a Linux distribution is to give a complete system, so that
> the user should not have to do anything by him/herself, nor waste CPU
> time.
>
> I realized that my earlier idea (foo-doc-ps and foo-doc-dvi) had a
> failure: .ps and .dvi documents are location-specific, american will like
> letter size, while european people will want a4 size.

Well, shipping everything in letter format wouldn't hurt much - it is
still possible to print on a4 paper (but not vice-versa).

> But I still dislike automatic building. If you just want not having to
> fetch the source package, what about a foo-doc-texi binary package (on a
> "do whatever you want with it" basis), which just ships the .texi source?

That would be the best, but what to do with html-info issue anyway?
In my opinion, both should be dropped out in favor of these doc-texi
packages, but I don't think that we will come to agreement on this.

Alex Y.

--
   _
 _( )_
 |    \ __/   <--   | Alexander Yukhimets   aqy6633@is5.nyu.edu |
 |        |         |       http://pages.nyu.edu/~aqy6633/      |
   |  (___)                            ooO Ooo
    \___)