Re: Packaging questions regarding plan

> The reason we need virtual packages is so that we can allow people who
> (like myself) have gone out and bought real Motif to use it on Debian.
> I would be glad to throw away my Motif CD, and only use Lesstif.  Last
> time I tried compiling Nedit against lesstif, the results were almost
> usable, but still disappointing.  I am getting a new computer (K6-200)
> to replace my old 486, and I plan on compiling Nedit against the latest
> Lesstif again.  If it works, i will upload it (and we can get it out of
> contrib).  I still plan on compiling a statically linked version against
> REAL Motif though (for those who want everything to work perfectly).
> I don't believe Lesstif is quite ready for primetime.  Regardless, since
> there are two versions of Motif, with different Library names that are
> not compatable (sure, you can recompile but they are not binary compatable),
> we need both motif12 and motif20 virtual packages.  Lesstif should be
> modified to provide motif12.  For other people that have commercial Motif,
> we need to have TWO motif dummy packages.  Or one that provides both
> virtual packages...

O.K., First of all, Lesstif does *not* provide even motif12, it is NOT
binary compatible with real Motif 1.2 . As for the binary compatibility
of *real* motif 1.2 and 2.0, could anyone who have runtime package of
Motif 1.2 installed try to install and run nedit-dmotif. Anyone???????

It was claimed by OSF that thay are binary compatible, but who knows...

Alex Y.

--
   _
 _( )_
 |    \ __/   <--   | Alexander Yukhimets   aqy6633@is5.nyu.edu |
 |        |         |       http://pages.nyu.edu/~aqy6633/      |
   |  (___)                            ooO Ooo
    \___)