Re: Hamm: Exim + Chos standard?

On Sun, Jun 15 1997 11:20 BST Philip Hands writes:
> > Exim doesn't provide UUCP capabilities *at all*, thus it is rather
> > useless for sites that use UUCP (like me).
> I expect that you will admit that UUCP sites are a minority.  I use UUCP, but
> I don't think that the majority of users who do not should be forced to use a
> cumbersome mail transfer agent because of that.

As several people already pointed out, the phone costs in Europe are rather
so that people like to use the transfer agent with the shortest connection
which is doubtless UUCP.

But this requires an MTA which is capable of bang-paths in the envelope (i.e.
From /MAIL FROM: fields (depending whether you use rmail or rsmtp) [The From:
is nowadays of course a FQDN].

exim should be able to parse simple bang-paths IMO (host!user), since most
UUCP paths
are nowadays only one hop or two,or this deficiency should be
documented in the package (Conflicts: uucp or something like that)

[ I agree with the rest of the post about setup-friendliness, complexity and

David Frey                      |Linux --- the choice of a GNU generation!
51F35923114FC8647D05FF173C61EFDE|GE C++ UL+++ P- W-- !w--- PGP++ t@++ R D--- e++