Re: Simple policy question...

On Jun 13, Sam Ockman wrote
> Okay, so say some random person who has installed Debian wants XEmacs 19.15
> because he needs some feature.  This seems like a reasonable request...  He
> could get it from the Hamm distribution, except that would mean he'd need
> libc6...and he doesn't want to do that, because he's heard that it will
> affect the stability of his system.

The only problem with a mixed libc5/libc6 environment is utmp/wtmp
corruption. (They use different formats.) It certainly doesn't make the
system less stable. And it looks like even that one problem will be fixed
soon:

libc (5.4.33-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * new release for hamm. As there will be major differences between the
    bo patch releases and the hamm releases for libc6 compatibility I
    added some new dependencies.
  * modified the libc5 internal function reading and writing UTMP
    entries to use the libc6 format. This will make all programs using the
    libc functions compatible with the new utmp format as provided by
    libc6. Please read utmp-wrapper.README in /usr/doc/libc5.

 -- Helmut Geyer <Helmut.Geyer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>  Sat,  7 Jun 1997 20:05:4$

  Christian