Re: Using CVS for package development

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:

> great. since i meet other debian developers at the linux congress, i my
> a big friend of a cvs server with all debian packages. does anyone have
> a server with enough hard disks and a good conection to run it ?

Some problems arise:

Should this CVS repository be mandatory, i.e. does every Debian
package have to be there?

How much disk space will this take ?

> this could make some things much easier (i don't want to download the
> whole source and diffs, to look at two or three files).

> also it would
> help to coordinate updates (think of the menu package - this way we
> could have send diffs direct to the maintainer).

My favourite example ;-)

So I'll repeat this: IMHO Currently the overhead of fixing a bug and
publishing the fixed version is too high. For unstable it would be
enough to check-in the fix (e.g. an added menu file, a spelling-fix).

Please note that the procedure for stable might be different.

> there are also situations where several developers have to work
> together.

E.g. boot-floppies. I regularly receive patches from the people doing
the ports to other architectures. If they could merge them into the
CVS repository, they needn't wait until I released a new version.

(Another example: We already used a CVS repository on master for the
FAQ.)

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/