Qmail pathname suggestions

From: David Engel <david@sw.ods.com>
> Qmail doesn't use the standard Mailbox nor MMDF formats for mail
> files.

Actually, it _is_ capable of using Mailbox files but must be told to do so.
Its default is to use Maildir. When it uses Mailbox files, it must lock
them in the same manner as all other programs, with dot-locking.

Christian Hudon:
>  - queue moved to /var/spool/qmail, with a symlink from /var/qmail/queue

The queue is entirely internal to qmail, so I don't see a problem with this.

I think that binary programs prefixed by qmail- should go in /usr/sbin,
and the ones not prefixed by qmail- should go in /usr/bin. Qmail will
handle this fine if you set the PATH appropriately before you start any
daemons.

I would suggest you put qmail/control, qmail/users, and qmail/alias in
/etc, not /var. I have yet to figure out what qmail/users _does_. I have
nothing in it and qmail runs fine.

Given that control, users, and alias are moved to /etc/qmail, qmail/bin/*
are moved to /usr/sbin/ and /usr/bin/, and qmail/man is installed in our
regular manual hierarchy, the only thing left in /var is the queue.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502