Re: Qmail, mailbox locking and the FSSTND

On Mar 12, Guy Maor wrote
> Christian Hudon <chudon@ee.mcgill.ca> writes:
> >  - queue moved to /var/spool/qmail, with a symlink from /var/qmail/queue
> > to /var/spool/qmail
>
> This must be some new FSSTND that I haven't previously been aware of.
>
> Mail goes in /var/spool/mail.  A mass of symlinks is gross.  Fix the
> headers or something.

I think this directory is analogous to smail's /var/spool/smail
directory.  It isn't where the user's mailboxes are.

> > Also... is it a <ahem> big problem if qmail uses flock to lock the
> > mailbox?
>
> Is it a <ahem> big problem if I not let qmail out of Incoming until
> you fix this?
>
> All MUAs and MTAs must lock mailboxes in the SAME way.  The ONLY
> reliable way to lock over NFS is to link(2) to <user>.lock and then
> check that the link got created with stat(2).

Qmail doesn't use the standard Mailbox nor MMDF formats for mail
files.  It uses a totally new format called Maildir that defines it
own ways of dealing with locking issues and was designed from the
start to be secure even when used in conjunction with NFS.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road