Re: Concern about racism and sexism in Supertuxkart 0.9
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Concern about racism and sexism in Supertuxkart 0.9
- From: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 14:36:38 +0200
- Message-id: <20150501123638.GL16577@localhost>
- In-reply-to: <loom.20150501T025758email@example.com>
- References: <5541F4F6.firstname.lastname@example.org> <1646153357.1639851.1430387412829.JavaMail.email@example.com> <20150430105257.GC5430@localhost> <CAJYD9f-57t1OCuTkzFDcq=4GBdMe0QUB2W_7XRSgRYuSASqbDw@mail.gmail.com> <20150430210507.GA10101@mail.beuc.net> <20150501001601.GI16577@localhost> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <loom.20150501T025758email@example.com>
> > Ansgar Burchardt escreveu:
> > I find you equating images like  with "Hentai porn characters" a bit
> > disturbing... Same for jumping to conclusions about the authors earlier:
Of course not that one. Judge yourself:
What I find disturbing is the usage of a sexualized adolescent in a game
targetted for kids.
> > "they understood that featuring a Hentai-alike adolescent might be
> > effective to attract end users, while being fun at the same time.".
Sure. I have explicitly asked why that sexualized character was included
in the game . I wanted to discern whether it was because:
a) it plays some role in the storyline, or
b) it was just the outcome of sexist behavior among developers
My question was cristally clear answered by this Debian developer :
"The phrase "male gaze" refers to content rendered from the *point of
view* of the (implicitly heterosexual) male. So images of women
instead of men isconsistent with this idea, on the grounds that men
would rather look at ("sexy") images of women than at images of men."
No alternative explanation has been provided, which is indeed consistent
with the discussion leading to that decision in the STK community:
Now, quoting my own words :
[...] the statement is helpful to understand why such a sexualized
character has been included in that game. The rationale does not rely
in the functional needs of the game's story-line. Instead, it relies
on the assumption of those "implicitly heterosexual" developers that
their sexist (this is, sex based) approach to that phenomenon called
'women' resonates well with society. As a natural follow up, they
understood that featuring a Hentai-alike adolescent might be
effective to attract end users, while being fun at the same time.
Please, correct me if I am wrong.
I will be happy to consider any countefactual. At this moment, what
facts support is that explanation. Perhaps some important piece of
information is still missing, so I will still wait for a while
before fixing my conclusions.
> Lena escreveu:
> Suso, if you could too refrain from using the term "[invididual] with
> anorexia"  to refer to a thin person, I would appreciate it.
Sure, no prob with that.