Re: Debian Games Team website

Hi Nils,

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 09:48:04PM +0200, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:
> > I guess the only problem is that they could do with a more
> > modern/polished/elegant design.
>
> I disagree. Looking at <http://blends.debian.org/games/tasks/rogue> it
> does not seem to work well with small screens.

Exactly.  I like to show the pages in presentations and are always
struggling with small resolution projectors.

> “Versions and Archs” and
> “Edit Debtags” also use an image background instead of CSS decorations.

+1
Also "Versions and Archs" are with some unrelieable JS.

> It also has two images for each game, a big one and a smaller blurred
> one, but the default CSS seems to hide the large one. I think the large
> image should be linked to the small one, but not embedded without being
> shown.

I have no idea what you mean.  Do you mean the screenshots?

> I tested if the images are optimal and found out that with the images of
> OpenArena a reduction in filesize of 8%/12% (large/small screenshot) is
> possible using pngcrush (lossless). With pngnq (requantization, produces
> small visible artifacts sometimes), savings of over 50% of file size are
> possible. For the more png-friendly (areas with same color) screenshots
> of sopwith, I obverved savings of 0%/38% (pngcrush) and 0%/85% (pngnq).

Well, the screenshots are taken from https://screenshots.debian.net/.  I
would not intend to change these - but for sure it would make perfectly
sense to use pngcrush or something like this right there (which would be
an advantage for all services relying on the screen shots).

> I therefore advocate using pngcrush on every small and large screenshot.

OK, this is a different topic as said above.

Another point of the broken design is that its using html tables instead
of consistent css.  I'm simply no web designer and just tried to do my
best.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--