Re: Debian Games Team website

Tobias Hansen <thansen@debian.org> writes:

> Am 15.08.2014 20:41, schrieb Nils Dagsson Moskopp:
>> Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Markus,

>>> I would be ****really**** (I mean REALLY) happy if somebody would
>>> volunteer to enhance the web sentinel pages.  Its based on genshi
>>> templates and CSS - so it should be possible to tweak.
>>
>> I happen to be an expert on the topic of CSS (and dislike bootstrap with
>> a passion). Could you state the problems with the pages as they are now?
>>

> I guess the only problem is that they could do with a more
> modern/polished/elegant design.

I disagree. Looking at <http://blends.debian.org/games/tasks/rogue> it
does not seem to work well with small screens. “Versions and Archs” and
“Edit Debtags” also use an image background instead of CSS decorations.

It also has two images for each game, a big one and a smaller blurred
one, but the default CSS seems to hide the large one. I think the large
image should be linked to the small one, but not embedded without being
shown.

I tested if the images are optimal and found out that with the images of
OpenArena a reduction in filesize of 8%/12% (large/small screenshot) is
possible using pngcrush (lossless). With pngnq (requantization, produces
small visible artifacts sometimes), savings of over 50% of file size are
possible. For the more png-friendly (areas with same color) screenshots
of sopwith, I obverved savings of 0%/38% (pngcrush) and 0%/85% (pngnq).

I therefore advocate using pngcrush on every small and large screenshot.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>