Re: Cube Trains

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 11:08:07PM -0700, Vincent Cheng wrote:
> Hi Miriam,
>
> (I'm cc-ing Martin as he's the other active frogatto maintainer, and
> has previously expressed interest in packaging Cube Trains, but I'm
> not sure if he's subscribed to the list.)

Indeed. I'm interested, but not on the list.

> On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org> wrote:
> > Yup, easier said than done. I'm not familiar with the engine myself,
> > and I don't know if it might need modifications for the different
> > games, or can be used "as is" and just parametrized ia API calls or
> > configuration files. I don't really have time to learn to develop in a
> > new game engine, so, while it's a cool goal to consider, it's not
> > among my highest priorities at the moment.
>
> AFAIK, Frogatto upstream split off the core engine used in Frogatto
> (some time after releasing 1.3.1 which is what we currently have in
> Debian, and is the latest stable release upstream) and labelled it
> "Anura", and supposedly made it modular enough that other games (e.g.
> Cube Trains) and Frogatto itself can use the same codebase.
>
> I'd definitely support eventually packaging Frogatto's core engine and
> moving it to main, but of course we need a game with free art assets
> and data packaged first. Does Cube Trains come with DFSG-free assets?
> (I haven't looked it up myself yet). I'd be inclined to leave
> frogatto+frogatto-data in contrib until the next upstream frogatto
> release (which I think is preferable to packaging an unreleased
> version directly from upstream git) before migrating them to depend on
> the packaged version of Anura.
>
> Just to be clear, I don't really have the time to package Anura
> myself, or manage/coordinate the transition for frogatto, so if anyone
> else is up to doing the work, please go ahead. :)

I agree with the whole idea here. Also interested, also short in time.
But I think that the ball is kinda on the upstream side for now. They
are hard working at frogatto 4 currently, which should land in GPL on
Steam by mid or end 2014. I guess that they will not do any release of
anura before this happens, as they will certainly add stuff and fix
bugs in the engine in the process of doing their next big version.

> > The question now would be, should I add my package to SVN, try to
> > clean it up there and upload to the archive with an embedded copy of
> > the engine, while keeping in mind that it would be nice to fix it in
> > the future, or I just leave it out of Debian repos until we define a
> > strategy to do it?
>
> Either packaging Cube Trains with the embedded engine, or packaging
> Cube Trains's data separately from the core engine (and packaging the
> engine as well), would be ok with me. I guess it depends on whether
> anyone plans on packaging any other games that depend on Anura?

Last time I checked, CT was using a modified version of the engine.
The modification was so trivial that DDR (the author of CT) was
planing to fix the stuff in anuera itself, but still.

As a concluding remark, you should really talk to the upstream authors
on their IRC channel about your plan. They can tell you wether it's
worth to start packaging stuff right now. They are really welcoming
and nice. #frogatto on freenode. I'm emptty in there, often lurking
but rarely talking.

Bye, Mt.

--
I'm not griping, I'm just observing what a miserable experience this is.
    --- Calvin