Re: Task "main" for Debian Games

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Markus Koschany <apo@gambaru.de> wrote:
> On 25.02.2014 01:34, Paul Wise wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 1:16 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:
>>
>>> However I'm now more and more inclined to drop the DebTags idea, given
>>> the fact that only three people want to attend to the DebTags party
>>
>> Uh, I think you are missing the whole point of games parties. The most
>> important part of the description of them is "well-publicised",
>> actually getting work done is just a bonus. People who didn't fill in
>> dudle are going to show up and they did. A mail on d-d-g definitely
>> isn't enough. For the screenshots party, we decided on a date first
>> and then promoted it in 11 different posts plus serveral mentions on
>> relevant IRC channels. After the fact it was promoted in 6 different
>> posts.
>
> Well, then please take this statement as a call for help. ;-) I also
> haven't got much feedback in regard to the release goal for Jessie.
> All in all this discourages me a little.

With regards to the release goal for Jessie, if you're talking about
"ship a menu file in every games team package for jessie", to be
honest, I don't think a lot of people in the team feel concerned about
that particular goal, judging by mailing list / IRC history. I've
mentioned this already on IRC; I think that the Debian menu system
should be deprecated and everyone should just conform with the FDO
desktop menu spec (it's a cross-distro standard that's likely to stick
around for a long time). On the other hand, integrating non-conforming
packages with the Debian menu system doesn't do any harm either. The
end result is that I don't care enough about that particular release
goal to prioritize it over the other things on my todo list, hence I
don't spend time on it (I only have that much time I can spend on
Debian, and well, there are a lot of other higher priority tasks that
I'd rather be working on), nor do I care enough about it to oppose it.

With all that being said, I hope this doesn't discourage you. Debian
is in many ways a do-ocracy...if you want something done (and it
doesn't annoy a significant amount of people), and nobody else cares
enough to do it themselves nor can you convince them that it's worth
spending time on, just go ahead and get it done yourself. E.g. I may
not particularly care about kfreebsd (the extent of me caring about
kfreebsd is to fix FTBFS on kfreebsd against my own packages to make
sure they migrate to testing; that's about it. If kfreebsd build
failures stopped to be a testing migration blocker, well, I'd probably
end up not caring about kfreebsd at all...), but I still admire the
tenacity of the relatively small number of DDs who spend their time on
improving that platform (especially in the face of all the recent
init-related opposition/flamewars). Truth be told, I'm indifferent to
whether kfreebsd continues to advance, much as I am indifferent to the
"ship Debian menu file" release goal.

I hope that didn't come out too harsh; I don't mean to belittle your
efforts or the efforts of the kfreebsd porters, but I only have this
much free time on my hands to work on Debian, and my priorities are
different. That's all. Sorry if that wasn't the feedback you wanted to
hear. :(

Regards,
Vincent