Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:

> That might be a separate thread. Did anyone try to discuss this with
> upstream? How can the issue be resolved?

This will be properly resolved when upstream complete their switch
from their custom scripting language to JavaScript. More details here:

http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/4151

> I think one argument against having everything in the release tarball is
> size. Complex games with a lot of art assets tend to ship a lot of art
> assets that can occupy precious storage space and bandwidth.

That is often true regardless.

> I wouldn't mind to mirror this data or upload a second tarball with
> additional source files. However I think we should find a balance
> between providing every source file that upstream provides and not
> overworking Debian's infrastructure.

I personally believe the DFSG requires us to distribute the source no
matter how big it is. The data.debian.org idea could help mitigate the
size issue though, once the ftp team finally implement it.

> I saw that Vincent did some work on the package a few years ago and it
> appears there hasn't been any progress on #523834 for a long time.
> Wouldn't it be possible to drop or replace the non-free XaraLX file and
> find a pragmatic solution? Is there no better and faster way to get a
> version of Naev into Debian?

This is the XaraLX file:

https://github.com/Deiz/naev-artwork/blob/master/3D/outfits/spacelicense/spacelicense.xar

This is the resulting image:

https://github.com/bobbens/naev/blob/master/dat/gfx/outfit/store/license.png

The image is referenced here:

https://github.com/bobbens/naev/blob/master/dat/outfits/misc/large_civilian_vessel_license.xml

As you can see, the image is rendered to PNG and then that is used as
a texture on a 3D model, which is then rendered to PNG and used in the
2D game.

The XaraLX file is free but it can't be rendered to a format used by
the game (PNG) without the xaralx package from non-free. So the file
belongs in contrib at best.

I attempted to do a lossless conversion to SVG by running the Windows
version of Xara but the result was pretty broken. I also tried to use
a few FOSS vector image conversion tools but had no luck. Someone who
owns more proprietary graphics software programs might have better
luck, does anyone here have any? Perhaps someone could also retry the
latest upstream python-uniconvertor, they told me they were working on
XaraLX conversion and there is a new release now.

Creating a new SVG directly in Inkscape might be doable but I'm no
artist and I don't know where to find any.

Dropping the image would mean that the image for the Large Civilian
Vessel License wouldn't show up so probably not a big deal, not sure
if we would need to put in a blank replacement or not...

We could do what Fedora did and just ship the package in main but I
don't believe that would be acceptable to the ftp-masters if they knew
the situation. I expect we could sneek it past them pretty easily
though.

We could just ship the package in contrib until someone comes up with an SVG.

> I think as long as the resulting image is freely licensed and in a
> modifiable form and the rest of Naev is also free software, we should
> find a compromise to allow users to enjoy the game, to work with the
> sources and to give them a chance to resolve the remaining issues. I
> think that's what DFSG 4 reminds us to do. Trying to solve this issue
> alone will probably take far too long.

I assume you mean SC 4 rather than DFSG 4. Not sure what you are
suggesting here though.

> Agreed but you can't hope for educating all upstream developers. You can
> take a radical stance and stop shipping warzone2100 or you can find a
> compromise or simply let the user decide.

Indeed, but we should at least try. Cultural change doesn't happen
overnight. I never uploaded the videos in the first place, since I
wasn't confident with the situation at all.

> I suppose most users are quite happy to play the game just as it appears
> with all its glitches and shortcomings which wouldn't be possible
> without ScummVM. I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages by far
> and nobody prevents anybody from writing an editor. I don't like it
> either but there is simply nothing better that can be called source.
> BASS's README.Debian explains this a lot better.

I'm very  familiar with the situation, thanks.

I wonder if scummgen or any other editors support these games...

https://code.google.com/p/scummgen/
http://alban.dotsec.net/7.html
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/HOWTO-Fangames

--