Re: Task "main" for Debian Games

Hi Andreas,

On 03.02.2014 12:56, Andreas Tille wrote:
[...]
> I noticed that you created a task main simply throwing in any game which
> is also mentioned in the single tasks of Debian Games.  I'd like to
> express my opinion that this is probably not the best idea.  While I
> agree that a full overview about all might perhaps in the Games field a
> thing which has some use (which is not really the case in other Blends),
> there are some argiments against this strategy, thought.
>
>   1. There is a full list automatically created at
>
>        http://blends.debian.org/games/tasks/packagelist

The main task is not a superset of the other tasks. Ideally it would be.
I have created the main task for testing purposes and because Paul Wise
requested a metapackage last year that would pull in all games in main.
I think this is a nice idea and convenient for users who want to quickly
install all games with a simple command like

apt-get install games-all

I have created the main task file by filling it with the output of

aptitude search '~sgames' -F %p

I think such a file would be easy to maintain and could be
autogenerated. As you mentioned below there might be a better solution.

At the moment the other task files are created with the debtags command
line tool. This will give you all games tagged "toys" for example with:

debtags search game::toys --names

I intend to provide the missing debtags information (hopefully with a
little help), so that in the future all games are tagged _and_ all task
files generated by debtags provide in total the same games listed in the
main (or contrib) task files.

However it would be great if we could get the sorting for free.
Obviously the blends framework already separates packages by section
within a task file and displays the output on the website. If the system
can already separate packages by section, it will most likely be able to
automatically create metapackages based on task dependencies and
belonging of a package to main/contrib/non-free. (I guess that's what
you are referring to in your last paragraph under point 3.

[...]

>   2. I have no idea what you might about my last mail[1] but in case
>      you agree that maintaining the tasks files is rather a manual work
>      than an autogenerated list the main task becomes hard to maintain.

See my next e-mail.

>   3. I'm not convinced that a metapackage simply throwing in all and
>      everything is what users really want.

Well, I assume not many users want to have all games installed on their
computer. But if we got metapackages for free simply by adding other
meta-dependencies to them, then why not?

[...]
>  While you can even now create a
>
>          Depends: <metapackage>
>
>      I also want to do some "resolution" of the content of these
>      tasks for the web sentinel.  IMHO this would be a better approach
>      to simply mention the single tasks in your "main" task ... in case
>      you might really insist to keep this.

I agree such an approach is preferable and I would definitely go for
this one, if it already existed.

> Hope I was able to provide some useful hints and thanks for your work on
> Debian Games tasks.

Thank you

Markus