Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 09:38:43AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> I personally believe the DFSG requires us to distribute the source no
> matter how big it is. The data.debian.org idea could help mitigate the
> size issue though, once the ftp team finally implement it.

I agree that size is irrelevant when it comes to licence compliance.
However, I think it also matters what processing is required to convert
the source into the result. Hypothetical example, where upstream have
a small-resolution, 8 bit texture which was derived from a high
resolution photograph. One might believe the JPEG to be the (or a)
source. But if the process of generating the texture was a long session
in an image editor, cropping, recolouring, rescaling etc. - and those
steps are *not* captured anywhere (so obv. if upstream used, say GIMP,
and saved their steps as an XCF file, that is a different situation),
is the JPEG truly source, in DFSG terms?