Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 6:02 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:

> Any objections?

I'm not sure sauerbraten-wake6 should be in Debian at all, the
description describes it as "dodgy". The initial motivation was to be
able to move sauerbraten to main, which I would describe as
disingenuous and dodgy.

It is pointless to have it in main without the game engine in main
too. To move sauerbraten to main it would need to change the dep from
sauerbraten-data to sauerbraten-wake6 and maybe add a suggests on
sauerbraten-data. This would leave most sauerbraten users with an
experience that is very very different from what upstream intended. In
my opinion this would be a recipe for disaster from a user support
perspective and an upstream relations perspective.

The Saubraten upstream community appears to be firmly rooted in the
non-free data license world, I'd suggest attempting to change that
upstream (or just give up) rather than adding a silly workaround in
Debian that will be detrimental to Debian.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise