Re: Should sauerbraten-wake6 be part of main?

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 3:34 AM, Markus Koschany <apo@gambaru.de> wrote:
> Some things got mixed up here and actually I don't know why.
>
> To clarify: I am only talking about moving _sauerbraten-wake6_ to main.
> I do not suggest any changes to sauerbraten.

Ah, sorry about that; I think me, pabs, and smcv all wrote our replies
on the assumption that you were suggesting _sauerbraten_ be moved to
main. Reading the initial mail, I can see clearly that that's not the
case.

Strictly speaking, there's nothing in Policy that outright forbids
sauerbraten-wake6 to be moved to main from contrib, given that it's
DFSG-compliant and it doesn't (build-)depend on any packages that are
not in main. However...

>> It is pointless to have it in main without the game engine in main
>> too.
>
> Could you elaborate on this statement please? What is your reasoning for
> keeping free and universal art assets in contrib? I think game art is
> not necessarily tied to one game. It is reusable. Free game art should
> always be promoted. Having free images and content in contrib that do
> not depend on packages in contrib or non-free is wrong.

...I'd also like to point out that Policy 2.2.2 states that:

"
Examples of packages which would be included in contrib are:

- free packages which require contrib, non-free packages or packages
which are not in our archive at all for compilation or execution, and

- wrapper packages or other sorts of free accessories for non-free programs.
"

The crux of your argument (correct me if I'm wrong) is that
sauerbraten-wake6 serves its purpose primarily as a piece of DFSG-free
game art/assets that can (but is not currently) be used by other
DFSG-compliant games/game engines, i.e. it's nothing more than a loose
collection of DFSG-free generic game assets. However, I see
sauerbraten-wake6 as a work of art that is (currently) only usable
with sauerbraten's game engine, in which case I'd argue that
sauerbraten-wake6 "requires [a package] in contrib...for compilation
or execution" (i.e. the first point mentioned in the above quote).

I admit that I don't see the point of moving sauerbraten-wake6 from
contrib to main. Users who install it will very likely also install
sauerbraten to actually use the game data packaged in sauerbraten, so
they must enable contrib anyways. I would probably take a different
stance if there was actually some other game engine packaged in main
that uses the data in sauerbraten-wake6, but this is presently not the
case, so this feels like nothing more than an academic exercise.

Regards,
Vincent