Re: Versions based on custom commits

On 28/09/13 15:19, Anton Balashov wrote:
> About base on date: I meant author makes many commits in one day -
> not I :) And end user wouldn't know from what exactly upstream
> source (commit) it was built.

That's why ioquake3 has the date *and* the (beginning of the) upstream
commit sha1 in its version number. The cost is that its version number
is really long. It's up to the maintainer whether that cost is worth
the benefit.

(If the version number just has the date in, mentioning the git commit
hash in debian/changelog would be an alternative way to note which
commit it is.)