Versions based on custom commits

28.09.2013 13:16, Simon McVittie пишет:
> On 28/09/13 08:59, Anton Balashov wrote:
>> 28.09.2013 06:25, David Bate пишет:
>>> I forgot to mention that the recommended git commit for Xonotic
>>> 0.7.0
>> is 100eaf9137008
>>
>> What version package will have if it will be based on some commit,
>> i. e. not on a release tag?
>
> Here are the constraints on the package version:
>
> - must increase over time, even if you have to do another snapshot
>   before the next official release
> - should be greater than the previous official release number
> - should be less than the next official release number
> - it's helpful for it to include an abbreviated git sha1
>
> If there's a git tag at the last upstream release, you can use `git
> describe` to describe a commit like this (using d0_blind_id as my
> example upstream project):
>
> % git describe
> v0.5-6-g86ae1d4
>
> That means "6 commits later than the tag v0.5, and it's git commit
> 86ae1d4". If I packaged that version of d0_blind_id, I'd probably
> claim it was upstream version 0.5+6+g86ae1d4.
>
> Using the date instead of the number of commits also works, although
> you can end up with pretty long version numbers (e.g. see ioquake3).

> v0.5-6-g86ae1d4
>
> That means "6 commits later than the tag v0.5, and it's git commit
> 86ae1d4". If I packaged that version of d0_blind_id, I'd probably
> claim it was upstream version 0.5+6+g86ae1d4.

We can't base on tags in our git repo, isn't?
Yes, we can use number of commit after release tag, but it can looks a
little strange :) I mean 0.3-24-abcd1234 and a next version for example
is 0.3-42-dbca4321. Is it ok?
And one more: What if there will be more than one deb pkg release based
on the same commit?
0.3-42-dbca4321-1 and 0.3-42-dbca4321-2 ?
I think base on date will be no good, because upstream author makes many
commits in one day.
What is the best practice?

Thanks.
Anton.