Re: Standardizing various games packaging things across distros

Hi,

On 05/06/2011 01:47 AM, Karl Goetz wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2011 11:07:04 -0500
Bruno Wolff III<bruno@wolff.to>  wrote:

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 10:50:20 +0200,
   Hans de Goede<hdegoede@redhat.com>  wrote:

My main reason for starting this discussion is to come to some sort
of agreement which form is the preferred form, so that we can have
some "how to be a good games upstream" webpage which addresses some
game specific things. I would like such a webpage to contain advice
for upstream what to use for the various ambiguities I've pointed
out in my first mail.

If you do include one of these, please include something about how to
design games to be installed system wide. Some games seem to be setup
to run out of people's home directory and mix per user data (needing
write access) with static data. I also ran across a minor secuirty
issue with a start up script that adds stuff to LDCONFIG (which
shouldn't even be needed for system installs) incorrectly.

Debian doesn't have one specifically for games, but does have a page for
upstreams [1]. Is this the sort of thing you're thinking about? If so
it may contain some helpful starting points (or, for that matter, need
expanding with your suggestions).

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide

Yes that is more or less what I have in mind. In general I think it
would be good to try to get a distro neutral version of this page
online at freedesktop.org, which the various distro specific wiki's
can then link too, but lets start with just a page with additional
advice for games.

Regards,

Hans