Re: Standardizing various games packaging things across distros

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 10:50:20 +0200,
  Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:

> My main reason for starting this discussion is to come to some sort
> of agreement which form is the preferred form, so that we can have
> some "how to be a good games upstream" webpage which addresses some
> game specific things. I would like such a webpage to contain advice
> for upstream what to use for the various ambiguities I've pointed
> out in my first mail.

If you do include one of these, please include something about how to
design games to be installed system wide. Some games seem to be setup to
run out of people's home directory and mix per user data (needing write
access) with static data. I also ran across a minor secuirty issue
with a start up script that adds stuff to LDCONFIG (which shouldn't even
be needed for system installs) incorrectly.

Typically games with servers also don't have init support for running
these through the normal init mechanism. (There are two packages I maintain
that I specifically want to fix this issue for when I get time.)