Re: Adding game into repos

Hi,

manuel <linuxuser-sky@gmx.de> writes:

> I just did it :-D now i have a data package and a normal one.
>
> When i was checking the widelands control file i began to think if i
> need all the build depencies cause it is a python program and they
> dont need to be "maked"  or anything.

This sounds like you have an "Architecture: any" package for the program
and an "Architecture: all" package for the data?

If the program is written in Python and contains no compiled code, you
only need a single "Architecture: all" package containing both program
and data.

Splitting the data into a separate package is only useful for arch:any
packages: doing so means the data is only included once in the archive
instead of once for each architecture, saving bandwidth and disk space
for mirrors.  In case of a arch:all package, there is only a single
package for all architectures, so the data is already only stored in a
single place.

> Maybe you can give me a hint:
>
> Current build dep:
>
> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 7.0.50~), python-support, python (>=2.5),
> python-pygame(>= 1.8),python-pyglet(>= 1.1.2)
>
> The game needs pygame and pyglet install to run but i think as it is a
> python program there is nothing to build at all but i know to less
> about the debian auto build process to answer that question

If you just copy files around and no code is run while building the
package, there should be no need to build-depend on the python
packages.

> The data package has only 1 dep: ${misc:Depends} (as seen in
> widelands) what does this mean ?

This is used by debhelper when it needs to insert additional
dependencies.  In many cases it is expanded to an empty list during
build.

> And what does ${shlibs:Depends} mean (was in the template of the control)

This is used by dpkg-shlibdeps(1) to add dependencies on shared
libraries the program is linked to.  It is only required when your
package contains compiled code.

Regards,
Ansgar