Re: Ubuntu Gaming Team

Evgeni Golov wrote:
> On Fri, 01 May 2009 15:41:46 +0900 Emmet Hikory wrote:
>
>>> - Create a 'games-swat' team for the triage of game bugs in Ubuntu.
>>> - Create a 'games-swat-bugs' mailing list.
>>> - All bugs reported against game packages in Ubuntu are subscribed to
>>>   team and email sent to the 'games-swat-bugs' mailing list.
>>> - People join the 'games-swat' team.
>>> - People subscribe to the 'games-swat-bugs' mailing list which using
>>>   filters will allow quick isolation of game bugs that a person can then
>>>   look at and maybe assist with.
>>>
>>> This is similar to how X Swat works and I feel would be a good way for
>>> those 'volunteers' interested in helping with game bugs in Ubuntu to get
>>> exactly what they want and nothing else for triage or fixing. How this
>>> interacts with Debian is a further discussion but may increase the speed
>>> of bugs reports over to Debian and possibly fixes. It may also encourage
>>> people to develop directly as part of the joint Debian/Ubuntu
>>> development team.
>
> Does this mean that everybody (if approved by some member) can join the
> team? Making running a PPA under the same team quite difficult :)

    The team on launchpad is currently a Moderated team, which means
that only you can approve people.  I'd expect that membership would
probably match the set of people who can commit to pkg-devel VCS, and
wouldn't expect any of us to do anything to damage a PPA.

    I don't mean to suggest any change of membership: I think the
results of the team merge between Debian and Ubuntu over the past two
years have been an unalloyed good, and that we have an effective model
for welcoming new members with primary interest in either distribution.

<...>

>> b) Setting the team as a bug contact for all the packages maintained by
>> the team.
>
> How does this work? Why does the original Maintainer field not generate
> such mails? But yes, noticing that there is a bug at ubuntu would be
> really great.

    Neither the Original-Maintainer nor the Maintainer fields generate
these mails to reduce bugmail for those not interested in Ubuntu, which
was almost everyone back in 2004 when Ubuntu started, and a policy that
was never changed (and probably shouldn't be, except for merged teams
like us or Python Applications Packaging Team, or Debian/Ubuntu Zope
Team, etc.).

    Additionally, the philosophy in Ubuntu is that packages don't have
specific maintainers, but rather groups of interested people (who may or
may not be members of teams).  So individuals or groups can subscribe to
bugmail for a package, but it's never forced because someone did an
upload or is the maintainer in Debian, or some other reason.

    So the proposal is to just set the team as an (additional) bug
contact for team packages.

--
Emmet HIKORY