Re: Ubuntu Gaming Team

Alain Baeckeroot wrote:

> Why is it need to split ?
> What problem would be solved with this new organisation ?

    Rather, please consider Philip's outline as the set of things that
would be effective for bug triage in Ubuntu.  I'm certainly not
proposing that the organisation be split, but rather just that we might
want to adopt the model of being bug contacts and sending the bugs to a
mailing list to increase visibility into Ubuntu bugs.

> My experience with ubuntu bug reports is :
> - ubuntu tools are ill configured : reportbug and reportbug-ng send bugs to
>  debian, where they go to /dev/null as they are ubuntu bugs , not debian ones.

    The recommended tools for Ubuntu bug reports are apport and
ubuntu-bug.  There's been lots of discussions about "fixing" reportbug
and reportbug-ng, although there are usually persistent calls for them
to be left alone, as people use them to report bugs against Debian from
Ubuntu (which are sometimes indeed bugs against Debian).

> - launchpad is an inefficient tool, as it does not collect informations about
>  installed packages and versions, so bugreports lacks useful info.

    Launchpad is just a data repository.  The useful information is
collected by ubuntu-bug or apport (although these are not required for
bugfiling, much as anyone can send mail to the BTS to open a useless bug
report).

> I have the strange feeling that this is an atempt from ubuntu to take
> control over game team, when i think ubuntu should reinforce debian
> instead (debian is ubuntu's mother, historically and technically)

    In no way at all.  The members of the now-defunct "MOTU Games" team
in Ubuntu all joined the Debian Games team back in 2007, and I think
we've all been cooperating effectively without significant
distribution-related friction since.  As much as anything, I didn't see
the point of creating a new  "Ubuntu Games SWAT Team" when most of the
people that maintain games packages in Ubuntu are already members of
this team, so I thought I'd bring that discussion to the attention of
the team, and ask how people generally felt about a model where we were
subscribed to the bug reports for the packages we maintain.

--
Emmet HIKORY