Re: Ubuntu Gaming Team

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 10:48 +0200, Alain Baeckeroot wrote:
> Le 01/05/2009 à 09:23, Evgeni Golov a écrit :
> > Hi persia, hi *,

> Why is it need to split ?
> What problem would be solved with this new organisation ?
>
> My experience with ubuntu bug reports is :
> - ubuntu tools are ill configured : reportbug and reportbug-ng send bugs to
>  debian, where they go to /dev/null as they are ubuntu bugs , not debian ones.
>
> - launchpad is an inefficient tool, as it does not collect informations about
>  installed packages and versions, so bugreports lacks useful info.
>
> - ubuntu feedback to debian and/or upstream is very light (mostly done by
>  people who are in debian too)
>

> > Does this mean that everybody (if approved by some member) can join the
> > team? Making running a PPA under the same team quite difficult :)
> >
> > >     So, I noticed that Evgeni registered the pkg-games team on Launchpad
> > > (2).
> >
> > This one was meant to provide backports of some of our games for older
> > (Hardy, Intrepid) Ubuntu releases via a PPA, but can also used as you
> > describe:
> >
> > > I'm curious what others think about taking the following
> > > (separable) steps:
> > >
> > > a) Setting pkg-games-devel@l.a.d.o as the contact for the team
> > >
> > >     This would send any launchpad mail generated for the team (from bug
> > > subscriptions, PPA updates, etc.) to the mailing list, rather than team
> > > members.
> >
> > Good idea, but maybe pkg-games-ubuntu@l.a.d.o? Dunno if we want to mix
> > both, but prolly we do.
> >
> > > b) Setting the team as a bug contact for all the packages maintained by
> > > the team.
> >
> > How does this work? Why does the original Maintainer field not generate
> > such mails? But yes, noticing that there is a bug at ubuntu would be
> > really great.
> >
> > > optional (c):
> > >     If most of the members of the team would prefer that
> > > pkg-games-devel@l.a.d.o not be used also for Ubuntu bugmail, and also
> > > support the use of this launchpad team to track packages in Ubuntu, it
> > > is certainly possible to create a pkg-games@launchpad address for this
> > > purpose instead.
> >
> > Ugh, that was my pkg-games-ubuntu@... scratch my idea then.
> >
> > Regards
> > Evgeni Golov
> >

> I have the strange feeling that this is an atempt from ubuntu to take
> control over game team, when i think ubuntu should reinforce debian
> instead (debian is ubuntu's mother, historically and technically)
>
> Alain.

Why would you think this? As the person who kicked off this thread, I
was looking for how information gets from ubuntu to debian after finding
out the dev teams were one and all effort is on the debian side. Bugs
seen in ubuntu that gets to developers is information that maybe can be
reacted upon and make things better for all.

As a long standing dev of crystalspace I am now interested in how CS
gets to the world, but also often I see bug reports on other packages I
can help with and fix quickly and easily. All I wish is to be able under
ubuntu is join a team that receives bug mail for all games so I more
easily look at them and act upon when able. This may bring me to Debian
to search and pair up bug reports, report a bug in ubuntu against debian
etc. hopefully helping the overall effort. No taking over thoughts at
all! :-)

Regards

Phil