Re: Newer vegastrike : can we package that big ?

I think it's time to face this, we already talked about this problem
before, so it's nothing really new, or nothing that affects only the
Games Team (I seem to recall similar worries from science teams
regarding big chunks of data, there will soon be problems regarding
GIS data, chemical, biochemical and genetic data, and so on). I think
this discussion should be taken to debian-devel and a there should be
a cross-team discussion about it. Compressing the data (probably LZMA
would be the best option) or optimizing it (optipng and so) won't
solve the problem at all, it will just delay it.

Having an external data.debian.net server, or something like that
(which hopefully will turn into some debian.org server in the future)
might be a good solution, as well as also allowing newer installation
sources (as it has been mentioned, users might want to have the read
only game data installed in DVD or so instead of in the Hard Disk).
Downloading it via torrent might be an option too. My main concer
about having the game data in an external server is that the game will
probably have to go to contrib, which is something I wouldn't want for
free games.

I wonder how Ubuntu or Fedora are facing this problem. Hans, any
thought about it?

Greetings,
Miry