Newer vegastrike : can we package that big ?

  Hello,

  As the packaging of vegastrike's new upstream version fixing all the 7
bugs against the current version is going on, I wanted to download the
corresponding data (though one of the developers told me it should work
with old data as well).

  The problem is, the final tarball weights 500MB, with an installed
size of nearly 1GB, which is twice as big as the biggest package
currently in the archive. The current vegastrike-data weights 310MB
installed-size, 157MB debian package (plus 70MB for vegastrike-music).

  What shall I do ? Can we distribute such as huge game ? We have
several options:

  * update the game and package the current game data, no matter the size
  * update the game, package the game's data and install them after
being compressed by gzip (this is a lof of work, and will not change the
size of the debian package, just the installed size - that probably
would be the best thing, though)
  * only update the game, while keeping the old data (not very
satisfying, but definitely the less painful one)
  * drop it altogether (it cannot stay in the current state, and I don't
feel like backporting the relevant changes to make it bug-free in
unstable), but I don't feel like doing that so much...

  What do you think ?

	Vincent

PS: just for the record, the package with the biggest installed size is
alien-arena-data (game...) and the one with the biggest debian package
size is nexuiz-data (oh, a game again !) ;-)...

--
Vincent Fourmond, Debian Developer
http://vince-debian.blogspot.com/