Re: Newer vegastrike : can we package that big ?

On 11355 March 1977, Paul Wise wrote:

>>   The problem is, the final tarball weights 500MB, with an installed
>>  size of nearly 1GB, which is twice as big as the biggest package
>>  currently in the archive. The current vegastrike-data weights 310MB
>>  installed-size, 157MB debian package (plus 70MB for vegastrike-music).

*shudder* Thats insanely huge.

>>   What shall I do ? Can we distribute such as huge game ? We have
>>  several options:

Technically we can. Practically - oh well. Its a huge load on the
mirrors, both,  diskspace and bandwidth, which I'm not sure is ok to
give them.

Especially looking at popcon, which only lists 206 installed, 12
recent for vegastrike-data, 161/12 for vegastrike.

> Ftpmasters, what is your opinion about such huge packages?

*My* favorite would be a seperate archive, either data.debian.net or
games.debian.net. Where data would be for all packages that are huge
with an (expected) low userbase while games would be pretty specific.[1]
I would even help in running that archive, but only if others also join,
don't want to do it alone.

[1] Of course "huge" and "low userbase" are just two criterias. The
exact ones would need to be discussed then.

--
bye, Joerg
<Myon> vorlon: you must be a fjp subordinate