Re: Newer vegastrike : can we package that big ?

  Hello,

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:
>  > Ftpmasters, what is your opinion about such huge packages?
>
>  *My* favorite would be a seperate archive, either data.debian.net or
>  games.debian.net. Where data would be for all packages that are huge
>  with an (expected) low userbase while games would be pretty specific.[1]

  I like the idea, but then the major drawback is we can't include the
games in main, as their dependencies won't be satisfied anymore -
unless exceptions would be made for such cases ?

  However, having a 'third-party' archive would probably make it
easier to implement source-less packages (the game data would not need
a source package, as the files would be exactly the same, only
organized slightly differently) - that would twice less load.

  For now, I plan to leave vegastrike-data in its current state
(because it is in the archive anyway). If I need to upgrade, I'll
remove the music, which would result in a tolerable[1] increase of
total size (less than a 100MB).

>  I would even help in running that archive, but only if others also join, don't want to do it alone.

  I would be interested, though I cannot tell yet how much time I
could possibly invest into that.

  Cheers, and thanks for the information,

      Vincent

[1] of course, it is only *my* perception of tolerable ;-)...